Experiencing an elevated state of health and wellness starts with our daily habits. The type of exercise we engage in and what food we are feeding ourselves to fuel those workouts has a direct impact on our overall state of physical and mental health. Each month, Hoag Concierge Medicine wants to make planning easier by equipping you with expert insight with a recipe and workout of the month.
Recipe: Coconut Curry Halibut with Green Beans and Roasted Red Bell Peppers
Experience a balance of sweet, sour, and spicy with this heart healthy dish from the American Heart Association.
Slow Cooker Size/Shape: 3- to 4 1/2-quart round or oval
Slow Cooking Time:4 hours to 3 1/2 hours on low, OR 1 1/2 to 2 hours on high plus 15 minutes on high
Serving Size: 3 ounces fish, 1/2 cup vegetables, 1/2 cup broth, 1/2 cup rice
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium fish sauce
- 2 medium minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root (peeled)
- 2 cups trimmed green beans
- 1 8-ounce can sliced bamboo shoots, drained and slivered
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers, drained if bottled, thinly sliced
- 2 medium green onions, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 4 halibut filets (about 4 ounces each), rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup uncooked brown (or regular) jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped basil (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro (fresh)
Exercise: Step Ups
Type: At Home Strength – Lower Body Workout
- Strengthen quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and adductors.
- Even out strength imbalances.
- Enhances stabilization while using core and low back during movement pattern.
- Place one foot on the platform, pushing through the heel to stand at the top of the platform.
- Do 2-3 sets of 8-12 repetitions each foot.
Step-ups are versatile. You can adjust your step-up exercises by adding more or less weight and by changing the height of the elevated surface you use during the workout.
For more information call us today at 949-629-2600 or click here for a member of our concierge team to call you.
Make Appointment - HCM
"*" indicates required fields